Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Smile on Everybody's Face

So, today is Sunday. If you know me well, chances are you know where I've been this morning. If you grew up in the south or you still live here, chances are you might be in church on a Sunday morning. I enjoy Sundays for several reasons and I'd like to share those reasons with you in hopes that you, too, will appreciate Sundays. After you've heard my spill, you can go take your Sunday nap!

Once again, I turn to a song to help me demonstrate just what it is I "love about Sunday." Below are the lyrics to Craig Morgan's "That's What I Love About Sunday" and some of my input in italics after each stanza and the chorus: 

"That's What I Love About Sunday"

Raymond's in his Sunday best,
He's usually up to his chest in oil an' grease.
There's the Martin's walkin' in,
With that mean little freckle-faced kid,
Who broke a window last week.
Sweet Miss Betty likes to sing off key in the pew behind me. 

So, here's Raymond, the Martins and Miss Betty, a perfect example of the first thing I love about Sundays. Raymond's a mechanic, there's the Martins with that freckle faced kid that Miss Betty probably slips a piece of candy after church and chances are Miss Betty has been going to that church and sitting on that pew for a "month of Sundays." That, in itself, is what I love about Sundays; it brings people together, people of all walks of life...the Raymond's from the mechanic shops, the Martins with their freckle faced kids and all the sweet Miss Bettys out there who pour their heart out in song, even if it is a little off key.They come together, not because they have every personality trait in common. Contrary to the world's belief, you can hold people very dear to your heart with which you have few things in common. It's the important things that you have in common that count. You see, these people come together, forget the cares of the world and focus on things bigger and better-like life and it's true meaning. That's what I love about Sunday!

That's what I love about Sunday:
Sing along as the choir sways;
Every verse of Amazin' Grace,
An' then we shake the Preacher's hand.
Go home, into your blue jeans;
Have some chicken an' some baked beans.
Pick a back yard football team,
Not do much of anything:
That's what I love about Sunday.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound! That's another thing I like about Sunday-the tradition. Here in the south, traditions are found daily. Sunday is no exception. Amazing Grace is a very traditional song. Further, shaking the preachers hand after the sermon-yep that's a tradition too! And don't forget the fried chicken, most definitely a southern tradition. That's what I love about Sunday!

I stroll to the end of the drive,
Pick up the Sunday Times, grab my coffee cup.
It looks like Sally an' Ron, finally tied the knot,
Well, it's about time.
It's 35 cents off a ground round,
Baby, cut that coupon out!

I love newspapers. I always have and probably always will. I guess I just have an appreciation for the written word and, of course, the news. Open up your small town newspaper in the south and chances are you'll find the Sallys and Rons you know too! That's another thing I love about Sundays...they offer chances to form community bonds. For many years, churches in the south have been the centerpiece of every community. Chances are, Sally and Ron probably grew up in the community and nearly all the church knows them and all their family. They've seen them at the post office and the local store. Sundays are yet another day to grow closer with those in the community. That's what I love about Sunday!

That's what I love about Sunday:
Cat-napping on the porch swing;
You curled up next to me,
The smell of jasmine wakes us up.
Take a walk down a back road,
Tackle box and a cane pole;
Carve our names in that white oak,
steal a kiss as the sun fades,
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah. 

What does a nap in a porch swing, a cane pole and a tackle box all have in common with a Sunday? Well, all three of those things represent relaxation, something very common on Sundays. Many Sundays we actually take the time to enjoy life and enjoy the company of others. We form bonds with our families. We carve in the white oaks and steal kisses at sunset-all after we've taken a nap of course! That's what I love about Sunday!

Ooh, new believers gettin' baptized,
Momma's hands raised up high,
Havin' a Hallelujah good time
A smile on everybody's face.
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

Perhaps one of my favorite things about Sundays are the smiles. Everyone just seems so happy on Sundays where I'm from. It makes me wonder, why can't we all just smile like this every day of the week! Miss Betty might be on a fixed income, but on Sunday she's smiling. The Martin's might be struggling to raise that freckle faced kid, but on Sunday they're smiling. Raymond might be fighting tooth and nail to stay covered in oil and grease and keep that mechanic shop open, but on Sunday he's smiling. There's nothing like a "Sunday smile"!

That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

What do you love about Sunday? Perhaps some of the measure of a man can be found in what he loves about Sunday! That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

Here's a link to Craig Morgan's "That's What I Love About Sundays":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3aCyRD3Vg

No comments:

Post a Comment