Thursday, October 30, 2014

Ain't no quick fix at the end of a needle...

We live in an era where medical advances seem to be more outstanding with every year. Yet, there is no medical advance that can fix the evil in our world. Therefore, the question arises, what is evil and how do we fix it?

Evil permeates society at all ends. Sometimes it subtle. Sometimes it rears it's ugly head and makes its presence know to all around. Evil can simply be an ill spoken word that should have never been uttered. Evil can also be a drastic and devastating, senseless murder. Yet, evil no matter the size is still evil.

Why does evil exits?

The answer is simple evil exists because people allow it to. So, how do we fix the problem of allowing evil to exist in the world. The answer lies in the lyrics to a Garth Brooks song called "People Loving People."

"People Loving People"

Doctor, you ain't got a clue
For whatever's making this world blue
You can't get forgiveness at the store
And peace, it's a politician's war

You won't find no resolution in the bottom of a bottle
In the stars or Aristotle, the only answer to the problem is…

People loving people
That's the enemy of everything's that's evil
Ain't no quick fix at the end of a needle
It's just people loving people
Whoa, woah, woah, woah

Words aren't what they seem to be
Talk is cheap but lies are free
We fear what we don't understand
We've been scared since time began

All the colors and the cultures circle 'round us on a spindle
It's a complicated riddle, the solution is so simple…

It's people loving people
That's the enemy of everything's that's evil
Ain't no quick fix at the end of a needle
It's just people loving people
Whoa, woah, woah, woah

You can pawn it off on kings and queens and those behind the curtain
Say what can make a difference in a world so full of hurting
But I believe the remedy starts right here with you and me

People loving people
That's the enemy of everything's that's evil
Ain't no quick fix at the end of a needle
It's just people loving people
It's just people loving people
Whoa, woah, woah, woah
Whoa, woah, woah, woah
It's just people loving people

Evil is an ailment to the health and well-being of each individual. Luckily though, there's a cure for evil and it is people loving people. When I first heard this song on the radio, I brushed it off and was half-listening. The tune was catchy though and it stayed in my head. I've been thinking lately of why people just can't love one another and the song, in a weird but right-on-time way, popped back into my mind. I googled the lyrics and here I am.

These lyrics are so true. People want a quick fix to their problems in life, even those problems with their fellow man. When people start loving their fellow man as they should, their problems may not be solved quickly but I guarantee you they will be on a much quicker route.

I see families and friends who argue sometimes. I see politicians and bureaucrats argue too. They over-complicate their problems and point fingers at each other until they can't do it any longer. Then they wander: How do I fix this? The answer is simple: start loving one another!

The truest words in this song, in my humble opinion, are the ones that say, "Say what can make a difference in a world so full of hurting? But I believe the remedy starts with you and me."

Things do start with you and me. Things start with each individual. We can all make a difference in this world in so many ways, but perhaps the easiest way to make a difference is just by loving people. For, when we love people and they love us back, we send evil running away and love here to stay.

Go out and love people. Love all people-even the ones who don't love you back. I've always loved people and made it a point to try my best to see people for who they really are. I don't always accomplish my goal, but I know that the quick fix to evil is not at the end of a needle but in people loving people.

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment