Sunday, October 19, 2014

Walking altruism avenue leads to happy street

Me-a two letter word used too much by society. Altruism- a big word that I've never heard of before. What do the words "me" and "altruism" have in common? The answer to that question is actually quite simple. They have nothing in common.

As I look around at the world today, I often find myself getting disgusted by the amount of attention that people give themselves. Everything seems to be about "me" "me" "me" Yet, if you ask each individual if they considered themselves a selfish or self-centered person, most would say that they aren't. That, in and of itself, is evidence of selfishness.

Altruism is a word that sounds quite complex. However, nothing is complex about it at all. The Merriam Webster dictionary defines altruism as: feelings and behavior that show a desire to help other people and a lack of selfishness. Perhaps though, many people do not even know what altruism is because it is not readily practiced.

As humans in a "me" society, sometimes it is easy to focus only on ourselves. Yet, we must look around and realize the value of others in our lives. I would be absolutely lost if not for the love and care shown to me by others.

I often find myself wrestling with ways in which I can help someone. I've always been this way and I'm thankful for that. I am this way because I know what it is like to experience trials and tribulations in life. I've walked a mile in my own shoes and a few more in the shoes of others.

The world would be a much better place if we all did more walking and less talking. We need to walk that extra mile to help a friend in need. We need to walk that extra mile in order to show someone we love them. We even need to walk that extra mile to show strangers that there is someone who cares.

I'm really not even sure to write what I'm thinking right now, but I know this much: I love people and I love people from all walks of life. I'm not sure all people feel this way and sometimes I find it hard to realize that not all people love those of different walks of life than their own. Yet, I also know that through my love for people of all walks of life I have discovered true happiness. I don't have to lay my head on my pillow at night and regret not trying to help a doctor or a homeless man, because I'm here to help them both.

I have a passion for people. I just can't describe it. Well, maybe I can: I must be walking Altruism Avenue because I'm as close as can be to Happy Street! Come and join me! You'll be on Happy Street before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment