Sunday, May 4, 2014

Let's go down the road

Tonight, I'm going to let you in on a secret. Every blog I write is based on emotions I'm feeling at the time. Furthermore, every song I use in my blogs is a song I found that seemed to fit my feelings at the time. Tonight, I'm feeling anxious for what is in my future. If you known me for a while, you might have realized that patience doesn't come easy for me sometimes. In fact, I'd say lack of patience is probably one of my biggest character flaws.

Lately, patience is something I have had to learn- often times the hard way. You see, we (me especially) live in a society  that enjoys and relishes in instant gratification. We want things now. If you don't believe me, just take a look at all of the things that are becoming faster, quicker, more convenient. For instance, consider the speeds of internet, the wait at fast food drive thrus, the availability of so many things at just the touch of a button or the click of a mouse. The bottom line is: We want things NOW!

A lot of times, our lives are characterized by that same impatient, instant gratification attitude. I know at the point in life that I am at, I often find myself thinking of the future. I know what I want and I want it right away. Yet, God has other plans. That's hard for me to realize sometimes. However, I think I'm understanding a bit better. Sometimes God wants us to be patient before we go down the road (our future.) Consider Kenny Chesney's song "Down the Road."

"Down The Road"
(feat. Mac McAnally)


When I was a boy

Four houses down from me
Was a family with an only child
She was the only girl
In this whole world that could make me smile

Down the road
I made up reasons to go
Down the road

Somewhere inside of me
There was something she took a liking to
And I asked her to marry me
She said she really wanted to

Down the road
To see what life's gonna hold
Down the road

Her momma wants to know
If I'm washed in the blood or just in the water
Her daddy wants to know
If I make enough to take his daughter

Down the road
Before he can let her go
Down the road

Now down the street from here
There's an engineer with an only son
And our baby girl says
She believes that he is the only one

Down the road

Her momma wants to know
Is he washed in the blood or just in the water
And I wanna know
That he makes enough to take my daughter

Down the road
When it comes time to go
Down the road

Down the road
You know I wanna help her go
Down the road

Down, down, down that road

Down, down, down that road

You see, I believe God makes us wait on what's down the road for several reasons:

1.) He wants us to be ready and prepared. You know I always like to be prepared. I'm just that kind of person. I plan everything, my every move. However, sometimes I deal with my future haphazardly. I get in a rush and I really don't consider if I'm "washed in the blood or just in the water." We must be prepared to go down the road.

2.)God wants us to be sure of ourselves. He wants us to really be ready and really be devoted to what is ahead. Sometimes in life we think we want to commit to something, but we may not be ready and God may not let us go forward. He wants us to make sure it's what we want and it's what we need.

Happily, I think I am well on my way to being ready and prepared as well as being sure of what's ahead.

Finally though, God wants us to appreciate what's down the road. Therefore, he makes us wait longer. Have you ever heard people say that you appreciate things more when it takes longer and you have to work harder. I agree. Sometimes things in life take effort, but if your heart and soul is in something, you are willing to make the effort. In the end, the reward...the path down the road will only be greater. It will only be more amazing.

So, I've said all of this tonight to say this: Hold on tight, work hard, have patience, and then you'll be forever grateful for what's in store for you down the road.

Tonight, the measure of a man can sometimes be found in his ability to have patience and continue to look forward with a positive attitude to what's down the road. Are you ready to go down the road with patience? I am!

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment