Wednesday, May 21, 2014

More than candles on a cake

November 30th- that's my day- birthday that is. For 19 years, I shared this day with this very special woman:



My great-grandmother, Dorothy Langham, was born November 30, 1925, in a little southern community nestled in the pine forests of south Alabama called Lenox. Exactly sixty-five years later, I was born in the small southern town of Brewton, Alabama. Although we were born 65 years apart, I was closer to my great-grandmother, Ma Toots as she was known, than most will ever realize. She was a wonderful example of how to live life, and live life to its fullest she did! She was one of the strongest women I've ever known. Never once did I ever see her cry, though I know she had to. In fact, I always saw her happy even when I knew she didn't feel the greatest. She was always eager to crack a joke and playfully flirt with men half her age- though her heart had been taken and still rang true to my Paw Paw Dalton even years after his passing. She was a top-notch cook, especially when it came to crowder peas. Further than that, she was outgoing and never met a stranger. She enjoyed dancing, or "cutting a rug" as she called it and when it came time to grace the pews of the church on Sunday you were sure to see her there for all the right reasons. She worked hard, even until her death. Yet, what impressed me the most was the sacrifices she made daily for her friends and family. She was eager to help and never expected anything in return. In fact, at her death we were surprised but not so surprised that she had very little money left.

For 19, years there was a race to the telephone each November 30th. Would I beat her to the chase or would she call me first. Most of the time, I was "out-ran" by a woman 65 years older than me! I miss being able to share my birthday with her on earth, but I thank God that he allowed me to for 19 years. For it was through those 19 years that I learned just what birthdays really are about.

You see, we think of presents, cake and ice cream, parties and dinners. Sure, all of those are marvelous and fun in their own right, but when the "and many mores" are said at the end of the birthday song do we truly realize what we're saying? Hardly a day goes by  that I don't think of my Ma Toots. I think of our talks in her tiny house. I think of the meals she fed me. I think of the times we shared with the rest of the family. I think of the birthday calls and how much I'd love to call that phone in that little white house and wish her a happy birthday this November 30. It wasn't until I lost Ma Toots suddenly of a heart attack in 2010 that I realized that birthdays are here to remind us of how lucky we are to have certain people in our life. Birthdays are here for us to celebrate the contributions they have made to our lives.

Look around you, I can assure you that there are many birthdays out there that you are thankful to share with those you love. So, today, as it is a 23rd birthday for someone special, I'd like for her to know that her birthday was placed in my life to remind me of the contributions she has made to mine. It's more than just presents. It's more than just parties. It's more than candles on a cake. It's ALL about sharing a day with someone special and realizing how important they are to you.

Tonight, perhaps the measure of a man can be found in his ability to understand that birthdays are more than just candles on a cake!

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment