Thursday, June 26, 2014

One more day...and it keeps on growin'...

"If I had one more day..." Have you ever said that to yourself? I have many times. Usually I was just simply referring to needing one more day to get some work finished or one more day of vacation. Now though, these words mean so much more.

Patience has never been a virtue that I showcase well. In fact, my patience is really, really thin. My patience is like the "thin mint" version of patience. I don't have patience on the road. I don't have patience at the doctor's office. I don't have patience when I wait for my wifi to come back on. Folks, patience just isn't my forte. I want everything now and I want it in the same day. That requires patience.

All of my life, the people I care most about have always been easily accessible to me. They lived down the road or the next county over, or a day's road trip away-until now.

You see, I value quality time with the people I care about. It's hard to spend quality time with people who are far away. When I do spend that quality time with those who are far away, I find myself wishing for just one more day. The group Diamond Rio has a song called "One More Day" and here's the lyrics:



"One More Day"


Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything
I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion in Malibu
I simply wished, for one more day with you

One more day
One more time
One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again
I know what it would do
Leave me wishing still, for one more day with you

First thing I'd do, is pray for time to crawl
Then I'd unplug the telephone
And keep the TV off
I'd hold you every second
Say a million I love you's
That's what I'd do, with one more day with you

One more day
One more time
One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again
I know what it would do
Leave me wishing still, for one more day with you

Leave me wishing still, for one more day
Leave me wishing still, for one more day

We all want one more sunset. We all want one more "I love you." Those are things that are hard when you're far away. This is where love finds it's hardest test-the test of distance. We wish for one more day and it often seems like that day will never come. 

Kyle Park has a song called "Long Distance Relationship." It describes my feelings on wanting one more day with those who are far away. Here it is:

A long distance phone call
At 2 in the mornin', but I don't mind at all
'cause I stay up most nights, just thinkin' of you
And how when I get home, I'm gonna love you

I know it's hard when I'm away,
But trust me when I say
That we'll be okay,
But we've got to stay strong

It's gonna be a long distance relationship
As long as I keep livin' like this
You're gonna be alone
More than I get to be home

But somehow this makes the heart grow fonder
Our love just keeps getting stronger
With every kiss of this long distance relationship
That we've started
So wild and reckless-hearted

We both agree that it's worth tryin'
And nothin' is worse than hearin' you cryin'
Everything I wanna say, can't always be face to face
But know I love you just as much on the telephone
And oh...
It's gonna be a long distance relationship
As long as I keep livin' like this
You're gonna be alone
More than I get to be home

But somehow this makes the heart grow fonder
Our love just keeps getting stronger
With every kiss of this long distance relationship
That we've got goin'
The only thing worth knowin'
Is that our love is gonna keep growin' on an on

It's gonna be a long distance relationship
As long as I keep livin' like this
You're gonna be alone
More than I get to be home

But somehow this makes the heart grow fonder
Our love just keeps getting stronger
With every kiss of this long distance relationship

Love isn't always easy. It takes work. I do agree though that absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder. And love is worth a try. I'm trying really hard! What about you? Is your love growing with the love you have going?

Tonight the measure of a man or woman can sometimes be found in his or her ability to try, have patience, and work for one more day all the while building a love that "just keeps getting stronger."

That, my friends is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man.

No comments:

Post a Comment