Sunday, June 1, 2014

Spirit of a boy, wisdom of a man

"There's so much riding on the choice at hand..."

Today, I saw a friend that I have not seen in about 5 years. It was just a chance meeting in a parking lot, but it made me think. This friend that I saw today is now married and lives miles away from where we both grew up. He's also a Marine now. Needless to say, I was impressed but not surprised. He has made a way in life for himself and chosen to be successful. He's always made that choice. You see, success is a choice. I believe that wholeheartedly. We have to choose to succeed. Sure, we're all dealt different hands in life, but to succeed in this "game" called life, we have to make the right choices. No one can do that but us, you and me, individually.

For me, as a man, I often look at other men and the choices they make. Like my friend in the Marine Corps, many have chosen to be successful. Yet others, have chosen to go with what feels good rather than what is right. They have chosen temporary pleasure over permanent success. As men, the biggest choice we have to make is to actually be a man.

I'm at a crossroads in  my life now. I'm taking on new responsibilities and making choices concerning my future and my success. Part of the transition from being a boy to becoming a man is learning to make wise choices. There is a Randy Travis song called "Spirit of a Boy, Wisdom of a Man." Although the song leaves the listener thinking about what choice the man makes in the end, it gives us an understanding that as men we are faced with choices AND it is up to US how we respond to the choices. We respond with the spirit of a boy or the wisdom of a man.

Let's take a look at the song:



"Spirit Of A Boy, Wisdom Of A Man"


"He was 16, tender and tough.
She was too, and he'd do anything to prove his love.
With so much riding on the choice at hand,
the spirit of a boy, or the wisdom of a man.
Hearts caught fire and love ran wild.
She cried the day she called to say she was having his child.
With so much riding on the choice at hand,
the spirit of a boy or the wisdom of a man.

There's a constant contradiction, what feels good and what feels right.
But, you live with decisions that you make in your life.
And what steers your direction is hard to understand,
the spirit of a boy, or the wisdom of a man

Now he drives a diesel out of Dallas,
hauling cars out to the coast.
It ain't the dream that he remembered, just a few short years ago.
But tonight at a truckstop, while drinking a cup,
the waitress grins and winks at him,
and says, "My shift's almost up."

With so much riding on the choice at hand,
the spirit of a boy, or the wisdom of a man.
With so much riding on the choice at hand,
the spirit of a boy, or the wisdom of a man."

Spirit-what is that anyway? A basic Google search gives the definition of spirit as follows: the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul. Our spirit, our emotions and character, our soul leads us to choices. When we are young, a boy, we make choices with the character or with the emotions of a boy. Though choices made by a boy are not necessarily wrong in their own right, these choices can never compare to choices made through the wisdom of a man. Sometimes, our spirit leads us to make choices based purely on emotion. Though emotion is not always wrong, it can be.

Wisdom- what is that anyway? A basic Google search gives the definition of wisdom as follows: the soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of experience, knowledge, and good judgment. Wisdom allows us to make choices based on experience and it allows us to use good judgement.

You see, making choices as a man requires wisdom. Wisdom is both learned and handed down from person to person through example. I'm thankful that I have many wise examples in my life. Yet, even with all the wise examples in the world, my choices can only be made by me. Therefore, the question lies, do I make choices with the spirit of a boy or the wisdom of a man?

As the song says, there is definitely a lot riding on many choices we face in life. As the song also says, "There's a constant contradiction, what feels good and what feels right. But you live with decisions you make in your life." I want to make the right decisions, the right choices. I want to choose to be a hard worker. I want to choose to be a true friend. I want to choose to be honest. I want to choose to be humble. I want to choose to be a good son. I want to choose to be a good father. I want to choose to be a faithful husband. I want to choose to be a man who makes wise choices! What will you choose?

Tonight, the measure of a man can sometimes be found in the choices he makes and how he makes them- either with the spirit of a boy or the wisdom of a man.

That, my friends is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment