Sunday, August 10, 2014

A difference and companions

A companion makes a difference-think about that for a moment. What is a companion? Well, according to one dictionary it means: one of a pair of things intended to complement or match each other. Socks match and they are companions, but we're not talking about socks. No, we're talking about more than that.

Think of your best friend. Would you consider your best friend a companion? I certainly would. Yet, what really makes a companion anyway?

To me a person who is a companion is one who makes a difference in the life of someone else by complementing the other person's strengths and helping them with their weakness. A companion is someone who listens and doesn't pass judgement. A companion is someone who is reliable and faithful. A companion is simply, someone who makes a difference.

Ronnie Milsap's  song "What a Difference You've Made" illustrates well what a companion is and what they do. Just take a look at the words:

What - a - difference you've made in my life
What a difference you've made in my life
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade in my li-iiife

What a change you have made in my heart
What a change you have made in my heart
You replaced all the bro-oken par-ar-arts
Oh what a change you have ma-a-ade in my hear-eart

Love to me was just a word in a song
That had been way over-used
But now I've joined in the singin'
'Cause you've shown me love's true meanin'
That's why I want to sprea-ead the new-ews

What a difference you've made in my life
What a difference you've made in my life
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade in my li-iiife

What a difference you've made in my life (listen to it)
What a difference you've made in my life
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-i-i-ight
Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade, yeah-eah

What a difference you've made in my li-ife
Difference you've made in my li-ife
What a difference you've made in my li-ife
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade

Go ahead and sing it

What a difference you've made in my life
What a difference you've made in my life, yeah-heah-eah-eah-heah
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
Oh yeah, sing it to me
What a difference you've ma-a-ade

What a difference you've made in my life, woh-oh-oh-oh
What a difference you've made in my-y-y-y life
You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade
What a difference you've ma-a-ade, in my li-i-i-iiife-iiiiiii-hi-ife

A change you have made in my heart...you replaced all the broken parts- now that is a companion-a companion for life. Companionship to me, is not temporary. It's long-lasting. As the song says- it's day and night. Do you have someone who fixes the broken parts to your heart and is your sunshine day and night? I know I do!

Tonight, the measure of a man can sometimes be found in his ability to be a true companion-a parts fixer and a ray of sunshine! 

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment