Saturday, August 16, 2014

Time is what?

Time is money- have you ever heard that? Yes, most of us have. I've used that saying many times before myself. It is true that the correct use of our time can translate into some much needed income. Yet, time is something more than just a dollar in a paycheck.

Time is a valuable asset. What we do with our time is even more valuable and ever so life changing. You see I look at time as an investment-an investment in ourselves and others. Therefore, the question arises: How is our investment paying off?

Time is not a good investment until it is invested wisely in the right thing and that right thing is called love. Really, time is love. Josh Turner's song "Time is Love" is a good reminder of that. Here it is:

"Time Is Love"

I know I gotta put in the hours,
Make the money while the sunlight shines
But anything I gotta get done,
It can get done some other time

Time is love, gotta run,
Love to hang longer,
But I got someone who waits,
Waits for me and right now
She's where I need to be,
Time is love, gotta run

I only get so many minutes,
Don't wanna spend 'em all on the clock
In the time that we spent talkin',
How many kisses have I lost?

Time Is love, gotta run,
Love to hang longer,
But I got someone who waits,
Waits for me and right now
She's where I need to be,
Time is love, gotta run.

Gotta fly
Fly
Before one more moment
Gets by...

Time Is love, gotta run,
Love to hang longer,
But I got someone who waits,
Waits for me and right now
She's where I need to be

Time is love, gotta run,
Love to hang longer,
But I got someone who waits,
Waits for me and right now
She's where I need to be,
Time is love, gotta run.

Time is Love, gotta run...

The truth is, we all have someone out there waiting for our time- our time spent loving them. I tend to spend a lot of time with my family. I do that because my family has invested so much time in me and that time is definitely love. I like to return the favor.

Yet still, sometimes it's not just our family that needs that time-the time that is love. Look around you, someone needs your time. You may have a friend that is struggling. You may know someone from work who could benefit from just a few minutes of your time and a positive, encouraging word or two.

As the song says, we have to "fly before one more moment gets by." Moments of our time are valuable we can't let them get by because someone out there just might be waiting for you and that just might be right where you need to be.

When we invest our time in someone, that investment gives great returns. I'm a business major, we talked about ROI sometimes. ROI is the acronym for return on investment. Return on investment is a performance measure used to evaluate the efficiency of an investment. So, is our investment of time performing efficiently? The only way it will is if we invest our time in love! Things are nice. Words are nice. Time, well, it means more than many things. A minute of your time spent with someone in genuine love is worth more than all the money in the world. A minute of your time spent in genuine love with someone is worth more than words spoken without meaning. A minute of your time spent in genuine love with someone is the best investment there is. If you don't believe me, just calculate the ROI! 

Tonight the measure of a man can sometimes be found in where he invests his time and hopefully that investment of time is spent in love.

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment