Friday, July 18, 2014

I don't wanna think about tomorrow...

Run there, go here, work there, work here, study here, study there, study everywhere, juggle this, juggle that, sometimes we often feel like that...Well that's as close to Dr. Suess as I will ever get, but those words were meant to conjure some thoughts within you. You see, life sometimes seems like one big chaotic mess. We have assignments, tasks, and errands piling up to our eyeballs. We strive to seek a better future for ourselves but often just seem overwhelmed. It's happened to all of us at some point. Really though, we all wish for better tomorrows sometimes, but the key to a better tomorrow, in my opinion, lies in your contentment with today. Let me explain.

I've been stressed to the max before. We all have. It is when we are sometimes at the end of our rope that we realize we just need to learn to  take things one day at a time. Clay Walker's "Live Until I Die" demonstrates that point well. Here's the lyrics:

"Live Until I Die"

Skippin' rocks, skippin' rope
Laughin' at all my best friends jokes
Things I loved when I was a kid

Muddy roads, muddy feet
I didn't live on no blacktop street
Things have changed a lot but I never did

And I don't wanna think about tomorrow
I don't need anything money can buy
I don't have to beg, steal or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

Livin' right, livin' in this
Little old town I grew up in
But I still held on to my dreams

Standin' proud, standin' tall
Standin' smack dab in the middle of it all
I don't worry about things that I can't change

And I don't wanna think about tomorrow
I don't need anything money can buy
I don't have to beg, steal or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

And everything around me
Are things I dearly love
And every night I get on my knees
And thank the Lord above

And I don't have to think about tomorrow
I don't need anything money can buy
I don't have to beg, steal or borrow
I just wanna live until I die
I don't have to beg, steal or borrow
I just wanna live until I die

"I don't need anything money can buy." You see we stress ourselves out many, many times over striving for material things and worldly accomplishments and the praise of those we don't know. When we achieve those worldly accomplishments or that money or the praise from strangers, often times we just want more and we add to our stress level just to get there. When, in fact, happiness and contentment is right where we left it-in the calmness of realizing "everything around me are things I dearly love." We really should be getting "on our knees and thanking the Lord above!" 

I'm not saying that creating a better tomorrow from yourself is something you shouldn't strive for because it is something you should strive for. What I am saying is we don't have to "beg" for others to notice us as we strive for accomplishments and complete our tasks. We don't have to "steal" from the memories we make with those around us to make so called-memories with those that don't matter. We don't have to let others "borrow" our accomplishments for their own personal gain while they never return them so that we can benefit.

I'm not sure my message is coming out clear tonight, but what I'm saying in a nutshell is this: Be content with today and tomorrow will work itself out. Don't stop achieving your goals, but don't let your goals allow you to overwhelm yourself to a point where you forget how blessed you really are!

Tonight, the measure of a man can sometimes be found in his ability to be content with where he is in life, to be thankful for his blessings, and to be able to be happy with today and hopeful for tomorrow!

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man! 

No comments:

Post a Comment