Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Unlikely...

Unlikely-what does that word mean to you? This very word can be used in so many ways. Yet today, I was reminded of one of my favorite uses for the word-unlikely friendship. I've always been a person who has often tried to be very accepting of all people. I like to think that I make friends easily because I don't put friends in a "box." Society tells us to make friends who are exactly like us. I disagree and so does Erling Kindem. Erling Kindem is a 89 year old WWII veteran who once was a bomber but now is an unlikely friend to a 3 year old boy. T o read about the story, check out this link:

http://www.11alive.com/story/life/2014/07/08/farmington-next-door-neighbor-friendship-emmett-erling/12390649/

You see, unlikely friendships can often be the most satisfying ones. In my own life, I've formed many unlikely friendships. I've had and still have friends who are senior citizens. I have friends who are black. I've got friends that are white. I've got friends who are short and I have friends who are tall. I have friends who are young and friends that are old. I enjoy meeting people who are different from me. I've always been that way. I genuinely have an interest in people. More specifically, I have a genuine interest in souls.

You see, unlikely friendships are made because people allow them too.  You must genuinely have an interest in people and their well being to form unlikely friendships. Unlikely friendships take work just like any other friendship, but what sets them apart is the bonds that are form and the force for good they become. Just take Erling and his friend for example. Thousands of people around the world recognize the unlikely friendship that was made in this particular situation. Due to that realization, thousands of people have also learned the impact that an unlikely friendship can have on someone's life. Making an impact on the lives of others is often overlooked. People think that they can't make an impact or that they're not capable of doing so. I think differently. Just try being an unlikely friend with someone-the impact will find you both.

Tonight, the measure of a man can be found in his ability to be an Erling-in his ability to be an unlikely friend.

That, my friends, is just a few thoughts from a small town southern man!

No comments:

Post a Comment